I have been thinking about the possibility of living intentionally especially as it translates to living our best lives now. I have made the decision to focus on and be intentional about my well being, not just physically, but mentally as well. With recent events in my life (maybe one day I will have the grit to talk about them), I have had quite the moments of clarity.
” Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.”- Audre Lorde
I would add that it is also an act of stewardship!
Shouldn’t we be striving to live our best lives now? Why do we wait until we fall ill and are forced to make life changing decisions before we decide to finally live a healthy life? Our lives should be important enough to us to get it right now. Or don’t you think?
I don’t claim to have all the answers, but here are some of the things I am still learning:
- Exercise…at least 3 times a week: Say bye-bye to the sedentary lifestyle and hello to a life of moving your body parts…ha-ha. We need to keep our bodies moving, there is really no time to sit and watch our lives pass us by. And don’t think because you’re skinny you get a pass lol. Exercise is and should be for everyone. I just recently took up boxing and it has been really therapeutic. Cheers to getting our bodies moving and our juices flowing!
- Eat healthy: If we don’t plan our meals, we tend to snack on unhealthy things throughout the day, which is why meal prepping is so important. Start juicing, making smoothies, salads, basically get your greens however you can! Here’s a tip: the more colorful your salad is, the chances are, the healthier it is.
- Communicate –Talk to people: Don’t suffer in silence. Vulnerability is an awesome thing I tell ya. It gives others a chance to be a blessing to you. So don’t be afraid to bare your soul. Sometimes all we need is to talk to someone who will help us sort through the jargon in our heads. Surround yourself with people you trust.
- It’s a bad day not a bad life: Taking each day at a time is essential. Life is so much more than a bad day. One bad decision, or day, or event shouldn’t define the trajectory of our lives. We have the power to choose to be happy, to make the right decisions, and to forgive ourselves when we don’t. Let’s stop sitting around complaining about the lemons life has thrown. Instead take a day at a time, work on each of those days and make them count because at the end of the day our lives are made up of our ‘every–days’, not just the big events.
I hope this encourages you all- my readers to live your best life. Now.
What I wore:
- Dress: Kanyira by Adaeze Nwadike (Instagram: ahhdayzay)
- Maasai Slippers: City Market in Nairobi,