What if I told you that all you need to grow floor length hair is just a cup of rice, would you believe me? Well, If you don’t, just ask the Yao women in China, or the women in Japan and south-east Asia. They would tell you that rice water has helped them to maintain their hair; keeping it strong, shiny, and detangled which has accelerated their hair growth.
What exactly is rice water?
It is the starchy water (usually white in color) left when the rice has been cooked or soaked (raw) for a while. Rice water is believed to make any hair type smooth, shiny, detangled, strong, and also helps the hair to grow.
What rice water contains & benefits
- Amino acids: Our hair is made up of a protein named keratin, and keratin is made up of several amino acids. Hair needs amino acids to form keratin which help in the growth of more hair.
- Vitamins B: It makes the hair follicles stronger, and prevents breakage, helps with delivering blood to the hair roots which promotes hair growth. It fights off harmful substances that can weaken the hair follicles. There are different types of the B – Vitamin; B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B12.
- Vitamin E: This helps in improving the overall health of your scalp and hair. It can increase the blood flow which helps to improve the health of your hair.
- Also, contain minerals and antioxidants which help with the growth and repairing of your hair
- It stays in your hair even after you wash it out.
How I prepare rice water
* Method 1 (Fermenting): This method has a better pH level for your hair. It has more nutrients packed in it.
- Wash the rice to remove the dirt
- Pour the rice into a container
- Add a cup of water or 2 (depending on how much you want to make)
- Seal the container and leave in room temperature for 3-4 days (Be careful, it stinks)
- Once you open it (it should be white in color, you can put essential oils like lavender to soften the smell.
- You can use the rice water like that, or you can dilute it with a bit more plain water (I prefer to dilute it)
* Method 2 (Soaking): This is the quickest way to make it I use this when I am in a rush, and I don’t have any fermented rice water left.
- Steps are similar to the fermented method, only you leave it to soak for 20 to 30 minutes.
* Method 3 (Boiling)
- Get your 1/4 cup of rice, put 2 cups of water and then let it boil. Strain the rice water and then use.
How I use rice water
Method 1: I sometimes use it just as a rinse. After I wash my hair, I pour the water on my hair and then condition it
Method 2: Using it as a conditioner. After I wash my hair, I pour the rice water on my hair then massage it into my hair and scalp, I let it sit for about 30 minutes (I wear a shower cap) then I rinse thoroughly with warm water.
I hope you learned a thing or two!
PS: rice water also helps with your skin! It helps to tighten skin and shrink pores